Today I want to share with you how to transform an ordinary cardboard jewelry box into a beautiful ring box.
Here are the supplies you'll need:
- Cardboard jewelry box (I used one I received from a Macy's store)
- Decorative paper (I used a floral design for the lid and construction paper for the bottom)
- Foam (I recycled some I received from a package in the mail, but you can also buy foam at JoAnn Fabrics)
- Glue stick
- Laminating self-seal paper
- Craft knife
- Cutting board
Step 1- Wrapping the box with paper and laminating paper:
- a. Place the lid of your box face down on the wrong side of your decorative paper and trace.
- b. Measure and draw a one inch border along all sides of the box you just traced.
- c. Cut along the outer border and cut out the small square boxes at each corner.
- d. Put glue on the lid of the box and then place the lid in the center of cut decorative paper.
- e. Put glue on one tab and fold the tab up and around the "lip" of the lid.
- f. Continue this for the remaining tabs.
- g. Once the lid is covered with the decorative paper, repeat steps a and b on your laminating self-seal paper.
- h. Cut around the border of the laminating paper as you did in step c, but do not cut one of the small square out.
- i. Carefully peel back the sticker of the laminating paper, starting at the edge with the square still in tact. Then cut out the small square from the laminating paper.
- j. Place the lid in the center of the sticky laminating paper. Then wrap the tabs around each side like you did in steps e and f.
- k. Now your lid is complete! Repeat steps a through j for the bottom of your box. However this time leave a 2 inch border (or more depending on the height of your box- you want to make the border wide enough to go up and around the "lip" of the bottom of the box).
Step 2- Cut the foam and make slits:
- a. Now that your box is covered and looks beautiful, trace the bottom of your box on your piece of foam.
- b. Cut out the foam and place it in your box. You may have to trim the foam so that it fits properly.
- c. Cut out a second piece of foam, if the height of your foam is not as tall as the inside of your box. (This is what I had to do.)
- d. Once the foam is snug inside your box, take your craft knife and make three slits about an inch apart. The slits are where the rings will sit.
Now your box is done! Fill the box with rings and use it yourself or give the box to your friends!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.